branch graphic

Help the Victorious Festival live up to its name this bank holiday

Help the Victorious Festival live up to its name this bank holiday
21 August 2019

A GP has urged music-lovers to ensure that a major three-day Portsmouth music festival is a “healthy as well as a victorious chart-topper” this weekend.

Thousands of tickets have been sold for The Victorious Festival on Southsea Common and the Castle Field this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Weather forecasters have advised that Saturday and Sunday will be hot and sunny, with the Bank Holiday Monday possibly going to be one of the warmest days on record this year.

Dr Linda Collie, the Chief Clinical Officer for NHS Portsmouth Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “I hope everyone attending the festival enjoys the music has a great time, stays well and that it’s a truly victorious event.

“There’s a great line-up and it’s easy to dehydrate in big crowds when you’re dancing around or having fun and you’re out in the heat for a long period of time.

“I would urge everyone to drink plenty of water. Organisers are allowing people to take in factory-sealed water containers. No other liquids are permitted, but you can also take an empty water vessel to fill up at the event. The organisers have said there will be multiple free drinking fountains around the site, which is fantastic - and free water will be available at all main bars.

“As usual, the NHS will be on 24/7 duty throughout the bank holiday, but I would ask everyone who needs to use our services to think carefully what is the most appropriate way of doing to meet their needs.

“Bank holidays can be extremely busy times for us. It is very important to remember that the Emergency Department is for those with serious or life-threatening conditions such as severe head injuries, chest pain and loss of consciousness.

“If you are feeling under the weather, then of course go and see somebody for advice or treatment, but making the right decision about your healthcare could provide you with a more efficient and effective experience, plus help to reduce the pressure on frontline staff caring for those in greater need.

“We have a wide-range of healthcare services available – the Urgent Treatment Centre at St Mary’s Community health Campus and minor injury units can treat ailments such as cuts, sprains or minor fractures. Your local pharmacist can also provide advice and treatment on a number of common ailments and illnesses. If you are unsure about where to go or you need some advice, call 111 or use the NHS 111 online service.”

Here are some options.


Many common illnesses and injuries can be treated at home. There is lots of information and tips available on the NHS Choices website at  


You can get help from your local pharmacy or chemist for many minor ailments and health related problems. 

NHS 111

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, every day. If you are worried about your health you can call 111 and get advice from fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics. 

GP appointment

For ailments such as stomach pain and vomiting, a persistent cough or ear pain, call your GP surgery for advice. 

Minor injuries

For minor injuries, go to your local minor injuries unit (MIU) or walk-in centre. They can treat deep cuts, sprains and strains, broken bones, wound infections, minor burns and scalds, minor head injuries, minor eye injuries, and injuries to the back, shoulder and chest.  

The following Minor Injuries Units are available locally:

  • St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre, Milton Road, Portsmouth, PO3 6DW. Opening hours: 7.30am until 10pm, Monday to Friday and 8am to 10pm at weekends and bank holidays. Telephone 0333 200 1822
  • Minor Injuries Unit at Gosport War Memorial Hospital, Bury Road, Gosport, PO12 3PW.
  • Opening hours: 8am until 9pm, every day. Telephone: 023 9279 4753
  • Minor Injuries Unit at Petersfield Community Hospital, Swan Street, Petersfield, GU32 3LB. Opening hours: 8am until 6pm, every day. Telephone: 01730 263221.Emergency Department and 999 emergency services 
  • Only in a real emergency should you contact 999 or go to the Emergency Department. This should only be used for those most in need of emergency medical care, for example if you are having a stroke or heart attack.